Detection and 3D Visualization of Brain Tumor From Brain MRI Scans
In medical field visualization of the organs is very imperative for accurate diagnosis and treatment of any disease. The increased importance of automated computer techniques for anatomical brain mapping from MR images and quantitative brain image analysis leads to an increased need for validation and evaluation of the effect of image acquisition parameters on performance of these procedures. Brain is the core and most complex part of human body which makes its analysis and treatment difficult and risky as compared to other human organs. Brain has three main tissue types Gray matter, White matter, background and cerebrospinal. It is difficult task to distinguish between different tissue boundaries as in image they seem overlapping. Our proposed system facilitates brain tumor detection and analysis more easy and accurate. Brain tumor diagnosis and surgery also required impressive 3D visualization of the brain to the radiologist. Proposed system presents an interactive 3D visualization model of the brain and tumor inside which greatly helps the radiologist to effectively diagnose and analyze the brain tumor. In this system brain MR images are used for 3D visualization purpose. First these images are classified as normal and tumorous by naïve bayes classifier using discrete wavelet transform. After classification segmentation is performed on the images those are determined as tumorous. Error rate of segmentation is very low because proposed system segments only those images that are classified as tumorous. 3D model is built on the results of this segmentation. Proposed system is tested against MRI dataset available from Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) Islamabad and Abrar MRI&CT center Rawalpindi.
Positive Words of Mouth:
Like always, a wonderful experience to judge the finals of Pakistani TEAM, If i am not wrong, its the 4th year of imagine cup, Pakistan. This time there were 4 projects. From these one is:
Congratulations to all the winners from the May 31st NED ITEC Competition! Here they are! Software/ Hardware competition:
- BRAIN INSPECTOR by Ghazanfar Latif, Irfan Mehmood & Srafraz Ahmed from FAST University Islamabad Campus.
- ALTERNATE LOGIC GATES AND MINIMIZATION TECHNIQUES by Yusra Siddique & M. Zohaib Sheikh from NED university CS & IT department.
- IGNOSIS SYSTEM by Owais Khatri & Arsalan Khatri from NED university CS & IT department.
Brain Inspector Achievements:
- Got 1st position in Software & Hardware Competition in mega event ITEC-2010 held at NED University Karachi
- Got 1st position in ACM Software Project Competition by presenting my Final Year Project “Brain Inspector” held in FAST-NUCES (Islamabad Campus)
- Got 1st position in Software Competition while overall in Hardware & Software Competition got 2nd position in NUTEC-2010 (All Pakistan Technology Competition) held FAST-NUCES Peshawar (Pakistan)
- My Final Year Project “Brain Inspector” short-listed in Top four Software Project of Pakistan for Microsoft Imagine Cup 2010 by Microsoft
Brain Inspector Research Work:
- Quratulain, Ghazanfar Latif, M. Arfan Jaffar, Anwar M. Mirza, “Classification and Segmentation of Brain Tumor”, 9th WSEASE International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Knowledge Engineering and Databases (AIKED 2010), University of Cambridge UK, pp 147-156, ISBN: 978-960-154-0